First Lutheran Church of the Trinity
643 W 31st St (near Halsted & 31st)
Hours: Open daily
Special programming hours: See the Version Calendar
First Lutheran Church of the Trinity, serving Bridgeport since 1865, moved from canal street to 31st street in 1906. The First Trinity Community Center, built as a Lutheran school, and operating into the 1970's, has transformed into a multi-purpose community center, valuable to many groups in Bridgeport. Home to the First Trinity offices, God's Closet clothing pantry, a small chapel utilized by three different church groups, an AA group, teen night, various concerts and community meals, and more. First Trinity Community Center is truly a center in the Bridgeport neighborhood. The property is owned and maintained by the people of First Trinity, whose mission includes serving those in need as well as encouraging and facilitating creativity. Some find it odd that such an open and welcoming place could happen at a church. We find it odd that it doesn't happen at more churches.